HAMDEN — It took Hamden firefighters roughly half an hour to get a fire under control at a two-story house Wednesday afternoon that displaced a family of five.

Fire units were dispatched to 113 First St. at 1:40 p.m., with the first engine arriving just three minutes later to find heavy smoke coming from the back of the home.

Fire officials said firefighters immediately got to work extinguishing the flames on the home’s back porch, which was heavily involved in fire.

While the porch fire was quickly put out, the fire extended into the kitchen. Officials said crews continued to put out hot spots and perform overhaul to check for further extension.

One resident, who was home at the time the fire started, was able to safely evacuate before the fire units got to the scene, officials said. The American Red Cross is helping the family of five that was displaced.

Fire Marshal Brian Dolan found that the fire ignited from ashes from a fireplace that had been disposed of in a plastic pail that was put on the back porch a few hours before the fire was called in.

After the cause was determined, officials said residents should remember to practice fire safety when removing ashes from a wood stove or fireplace.

Residents should use a fire-resistant metal ash shovel to scoop up the ash, the place it in a fire-resistant metal can with a tight-fitting lid.

Antique Stack Stone Carving

The metal can should not be kept in or near the home; it should be kept at least 10 feet away from the house.

Residents should not use a paper bag, cardboard box or plastic trash bag to dispose of ashes. The metal container should not be placed near a firewood pile, against a garage, on a wooden deck or under a porch.

Slate Tile, Stone Carving, Random Paving, Stone Veneers - ConfidenceStone,https://www.confidence-stone.com/